20 November 2021 at 02:25 #20831RogerBlocked
Hi. I’m a retired biochemist but interested in learning simulation software for a non-biomedical hobby. I’m just starting out. Before I get going, I’d like to understand if SOFA is right for what I want to do. I’d like to be able to simulate:
1. Many spheres including a mixture of both flexible-soft-body and rigid spheres in the same simulation.
2. The flexible spheres need to be able to jiggle like jelly.
3. The spheres will need to be able to move, interact with and collide with one another.
4. New spheres also have to appear next to other spheres throughout the simulation based on various rules.
My questions are:
1. Can SOFA handle this?
2. Do you think SOFA is the right software to try and do this or would other software packages be better?
3. Can I do this on a home iMac with the Mac Operating System version 10.15.7 with Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB graphics, 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5 processor and 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 of memory?
4. Do I need to know C++ or is Python good enough. I’m just beginning to learn Python.
Thank you for any advice you can provide!
Roger9 December 2021 at 16:15 #21104HugoKeymaster
I must (again!) apologize for the delay of my reply.
SOFA is definitely able to simulate the scenario you are looking at.
If the scene files/info I sent you per mail do not suffice, let us know!
Note that you can always take part in training session.
Hugo9 December 2021 at 21:25 #21110RogerBlocked
No problem at all. Thanks for responding! I’m really glad to hear that SOFA is right for what I want to do. It’s kind of a weird project because I want to simulate some philosophical ideas I have about existent entities to try and provide evidence for them and maybe turn this little part of philosophy into more of a science. But, it’s been my hobby, so I’m anxious to begin. And, I’m looking forward to working with it and taking the SOFA training session. I had tried Blender but they don’t have soft body stuff and Houdini was a little hard to use.
Thanks for sending those files. I’ll let you know if they don’t suffice.
Have a great weekend!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.